ACT Critical Reading Tactics for Non-Fiction
Types of questions to ask yourself as you read
· Why did the author write this?
· What’s the purpose of this paragraph?
· Why include this example?
Taking Notes or Creating a Passage Map-(a series of brief notes on each paragraph)
Elements of Passage Maps
1. Main idea or function of each paragraph
2. Places the author reveals opinions
3. Location of important details and examples
(This may take more time initially, but with practice, it will be second nature by test day, saving you time and improving your accuracy.)
Create it as you read-
· Notes should be concise and quick.
· Underline key details and circle keywords such as BUT and However.
Source: Kaplan Test Prep- http://youtu.be/vWu0UzC8dtQ